This month we explore the wonderful intricacies of pairing whiskey with local food. Whiskey is an extremely complex beverage and lends itself to being enjoyed with food just as wine and beer do. The unique flavours found in the different whiskeys can be utilised to create the perfect match and complement a dish.
It is important to find just the right balance, so that neither the whiskey nor the food overpower each other. The tasting will see small bites of food paired with each whiskey. This long awaited tasting will be one not to miss and should offer some surprises on the night!
Society Vice President Sarah Finney will guide us through the selection of Whiskey and Food and will outline the process by which the pairings have been made. This is sure to be a very entertaining night and as one of our smaller tastings will fill up rapidly.
This tasting will take place in Wynn's Hotel.
Note: At the end of the night we vote for our favourite whiskey. Number of votes and placing are included in the tables below.
1. Redbreast Mano a Lamh paired with Kileen goats cheese & quince paste
2. Powers John's Lane paired with Vietnamese Rolls - fresh, hand-rolled rice paper rolls w/ smoked trout, asparagus, pickled ginger, mixed leaves, nuoc cham
3. Monkey's Shoulder paired with Bacon Jam, vanilla sugar & melba toast
4. Nikka Takesuru 17 year old paired with sticky rice & mango w/ coconut cream
5. Tyrconnell Port Finish & White Choc Sandwich cookie w/ white choc cream & demerera filling
6. Caol Ila Distillers Edition 2001 paired with Coolea & Bleu d’Auvergne AOC
7. Benriach 10yr 10th Anniversary Bourbon Cask paired with Kellys Mountain Brew Revolution Red Ale & Cocoa Atelier ginger chocolate