Well, it's the final official tasting of the year, The President's Selection preceded by the Society AGM. As always, we relax the budgetary restrictions on the tasting and allow our Society President to indulge us with his selection of Whiskeys. Last year's tastings saw a number of unique samples direct from distilleries, some of which were subsequently bottled and others where we had the only bottles ever produced....
Who knows what selection Garry will provide in his last official function as Society President.
As always, this is preceded by the Society AGM where we will present the state of affairs of the Society, outline the status of ongoing project and discuss some of the plans for the future. We always welcome input from our members so, if there is anything you'd like discussed as part of the agenda, please send us through a mail in advance to email@example.com
We will be electing the committee for the Society for the coming year so, if you're interested in getting directly involved in running he Society or if there are some small projects or initiatives you'd like to get involved with then please contact us - we'd welcome your assistance. We're always looking for expertise in marketing the Society and growing it further.
The AGM will start at 6.30 and is expected to continue until 7.30. All members are welcome to attend this, no booking is required. Once the AGM is finished we'll clear the room to setup for the tasting which we aim to start at 8PM. Only members who have booked for the tasting can remain. It's expected that this event will be oversubscribed so unfortunately we will be unable to accommodate any members who attend the AGM but have not booked into the tasting.
1. Celtic Whiskey Shop Celtic Cask Tri - 46%, Nose - Freshly baked cookies, caramel toffees, banana bread, dried citrus fruits and Demerara sugar. Palate - Initially sweet with great mouth-feel & a buttery, soft texture. Finish - Incredibly long and full bodied for a grain whiskey.
2. Bushmills 21 yr old - Nose - carmelised toffee & dark chocolate, Palate - rich raisins & fruity notes, Finish - A burst of mint that ends in an intense liquorice finale
3. Teeling 18 yr old Single Malt in Rum Cask - 46%
4. Jameson 12 yr Signature Release - 40%, Nose: Sweet, floral, light perfume notes are followed by underlying spice. Some nuttiness, apples and dried fruits, Taste: Initial impression is a mouth coating of heather honey sweetness. This is closely followed by the some smooth spicy notes. Additional complexity is added with cedar wood and vanilla notes from the American Oak. There is a touch of citrus and rich dried fruits, Finish: A long, warm, sweet finish.
5. Jameson 18 yr Limited Release - 40%, Nose: Aromatic oils with a touch of wood, spicy toffee, Taste: Wonderfully mellow and smooth, a mouthful of complex flavour - fudge, toffee, spice, hints of wood and leather, vanilla and a gentle sherry nuttiness, Finish: A long, lingering finish carries the theme of the wood, spice and toffee right through to the end.
6. Tullamore Dew Phoenix Celebratory - 55%, Nose - rich vanilla with creamy toffee and spice. The Tullamore Dew signature notes of green leafy maltiness are beautifully framed with the warmth of the new American oak, Taste - Full oak flavour with vibrant vanilla and cinnamon spice. With water the more delicate floral and fruity notes develop and mingle with the sweet oak notes, burnt marshmallow! Finish - Long lasting vanilla sweetness
7. Connemara 12 yr - 40%, Nose: Lemony and fresh. Quite light, oily peat which melds with a deft touch of light apple and pear, a hint of custard, and creamy malt, Palate: Sweet, fizzy almost, with rustic, earthy peat, atop rhubarb and custard sweets, cream, malt and granary toast with melted butter. Smoky too, like a driftwood on fire, Finish: Light finish, medium length, some vanilla and tangy fruit with traces of oily smoke and spice.